Sometimes you just need chocolate and lots of it, are you with me ladies? So today I’m here to help with that in the form of my Double Chocolate Banana Bread.
This definitely falls into the not so good for you category of banana breads but that’s ok, after all a little of what you fancy does you good and this will kill any chocolate craving, for sure!
You can tell that your banana’s are at their peak baking time when you walk into the kitchen and it’s the first thing you can smell, thats good, it’s what you want from them when you’re gonna be baking with them. I over bought banana’s the other week so I could purposefully bake with them. I love baking with banana’s and want to bake a few treats using them, something to get out your normal ritual of baking another loaf of banana bread.
My first recipe that I’m sharing with you is not your normal banana bread, this is a rich, indulgent, chocolate lover’s dream come true. A heavy chocolate laden banana bread with just a hint of soft, squidgy banana’s breaking the chocolate barrier.
It’s a double chocolate banana bread as it contains dark cocoa powder and lots and lots of dark chocolate chips. I used some of my precious Hershey Special Dark Cocoa Powder. It turns everything you put it in a decadent dark shade and I absolutely love it! If you anyone knows where I can get more of it then please leave me a comment, I live in the UK and they don’t sell it here and I haven’t been able to track any down online either.
As I mentioned previously, lots and I mean, lots of chocolate chips are used in this recipe, you can use a mixture of milk and dark but I went to the dark side completely. I just love dark chocolate and it pair’s well with the cocoa powder too. Chips get folded into your batter and they also get scattered on top before the go into the over, this creates a chocolate crust.
A thick layer of chocolate yields a dense chocolate cake with banana streaked all the way throughout. It’s that kinds cake that clings to your palate, a glass of milk will serve nicely I feel. Maybe even a banana milkshake? If you’ve got a couple of banana’s going spare and want to vamp up your regular banana bread to desert style banana bread then give this a shot. You’ll never want to make a chocolate free banana bread again.
Stay in contact with Baking in Pyjamas!! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Yields – One, 2 lb loaf
- 3 Medium very ripe bananas
- 55 grams (1/2 cup) Unsalted butter, melted
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) Light brown muscovado sugar
- 1 Large egg
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- Pinch of Maldon sea salt
- 120 grams (1 cup) Plain flour
- 55 grams (1/2 cup) Hershey special dark cocoa powder
- 170 grams (1 cup) Dark chocolate chips, plus more for sprinkling on top
- Pre-heat the oven to 175C (350F) and spray a 2lb loaf tin with non-stick spray then line with parchment paper, leaving enough overhang enabling easy removal. Set aside.
- Mash the banana’s in a large bowl then add the melted butter, brown sugar, egg and vanilla and whisk everything today until smooth.
- Sift in together then baking powder, salt, flour and cocoa powder mixing until just combined then gently stir through the chocolate chips.
- Scrape into your tin, smooth the top then scatter more chocolate chips on top. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave on a wire rack for 15 minutes then transfer to the wire rack to cool completely.
* Recipe adapted from Bake with Christina.
* If you can’t locate the cocoa powder used in this recipe then any cocoa powder will work just fine.
* Feel free to use a mixture of both milk and dark chocolate chips just use the quantities the same.
* This will last for up to 3 days stored in a cake tin with tight-fitting lid.
* Keep in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.