I really hate it when you bake something, following the recipe and all only to have it big fat fail on you. Last weekend, I wasn’t really in the baking mood, but thought I may as well bake something for the blog anyway, so I tried my hand at a Oreo Brownie recipe from a magazine.
Fantastic I thought, a nice easy bake, a tasty Oreo brownie headed our way until It came to baking it. It took 15 minutes longer to bake than the suggested time and once it started to cool, it sunk miserably in the centre!! I then tried a piece that hadn’t sunk and it was way to sweet, ridiculously sweet I have to add. Now I’ve got a sweet tooth but It made me feel a bit sick.
This gelato is not too sweet, it’s perfect, unlike some brownies.
After making this Pistachio Gelato, I was very keen to try some new flavours and this flavour caught my eye immediately, Cappuccino Chip Gelato. As a lover of coffee and of coffee flavoured things I jumped at the chance of trying this, I mean who could resist. Could you resist making this, I mean just imagine the flavour, once you begin devouring it you’ll find it hard to stop. Trust me.
Cappuccino as you know them will never be the same after again after trying this smooth, silky java spiked gelato, complete with mini dark chocolate chips. All the recipes from Scoop – Ellen Brown are incredibly easy to make and will turn out perfectly if you follow the recipe. I’m keen to try a mixed berry gelato as I’ve never made a fruit based gelato before, only a Rhubarb Frozen Yoghurt which was divine btw.
The gelato base get’s infused with espresso powder, using a good quality brand will yield you a rich tasting coffee flavour, this makes up the ice cream as with all baking if you want it to taste good, use the best ingredients you can afford, after all, these things are treats, not you everyday meals.
It’s freezing cold here at the moment, I’m feeling sorry for myself with a rotten cold I can’t shift so I’m going to crank the heating on, snuggle down with some blankets and finish this off because it’s just so darn delicious and also because ice cream helps clear a blocked nose, I’m willing to try whatever it takes to relieve me of these nasty cold symptoms.
Cappuccino Chip Gelato
Cool, espresso laced chocolate chip gelato.
- 675 ml Whole milk
- 3 tbsp Espresso powder
- 185 ml Whipping cream
- 100 grams Caster sugar
- 60 ml Golden syrup
- 1/2 tsp Maldon sea salt
- 2 tbsp Nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tbsp Cornflour
- 3/4 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 100 grams Dark chocolate chips blitzed into smaller pieces
1. In a medium size saucepan combine 375 ml, espresso powder, cream, golden syrup and salt. Cook over a medium heat, stirring and remove from the heat once the mixture begins to steam. Do not let it boil. Cover and leave to steep for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl mix together the remaining milk, milk powder, cornflour and vanilla extract until the powders dissolve.
3. Once the espresso mixture has had its 30 minutes, strain through a fine sieve and return to the pan. Add the milk mixture and cook over a low heat, stirring until the mixture has thickened. Pass through a fine sieve into a storage container and cover the surface with clingfilm. Refrigerate overnight. Once it's cooled, stir through the chocolate chips.
4. Freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer back into storage container and freeze until firm. Before serving let the gelato sit for 15 minutes to soften.
- Recipe adapted from Scoop - Ellen Brown